Friday, March 10, 2017

A Milestone in Pictures: Mount Tammany

In March 2015, Liam had an endoscopy. 
When he woke up from anesthesia...
Liam: (weakly) I want to hike.
Me: You do? Now?
Liam: I have strong legs now. I will carry you up the mountain.

That day, as the anesthesia wore off, we hiked 3 miles. That year, up until I broke my ankle in September and battled with blood clots in October, we hiked and hiked. And hiked. The next year, my recovery year, Jon and I hiked 376 miles and 47,000 feet in elevation gain and Liam hiked over 250 miles - at 6 years old! His highest mountain was 1,200 feet - and that was Mount Tammany (Delaware Water Gap) in 2015. After breaking my ankle, I refused to climb over steep boulder fields on the way up to Tammany again. Liam asked, pleaded, but I was afraid.

Until this week. Liam had a half day so I pulled him out of school. It was a gorgeous day, sunny and in the high 50s. We went to the place that pulled Liam's heart, the place I was edgy about, the place that tested all of us: Tammany. We did a 3.4 mile loop and guess how high we climbed? 1,371 feet. Liam's highest EVER. My highest since my broken ankle. Hell, my highest for the past 10 years! And we conquered it. Hell yes, we conquered it. My ankles and knees were sore and we were all exhausted, yet it was beautiful, it was perfect, and we all ended with a hiking high. Feel those endorphins!

Here are some photos. This is a major milestone for both Liam and myself. So here we go! Lots and lots of photos so settle down with a cup of coffee (or tea if you prefer) and let's do this thing! 

Ready, set, go! 

Come on, Mom, get your tail up the trail! 

They call PA "Rocksylvania," but New Jersey is super rocky too! 

I wish the pictures captured the real story: this trail went up and up and up. 

Good Lord. I have to climb that thing? 

King of the castle! 

First view: Mount Minsi on the Pennsylvania side and the Delaware River
The water turns from blue to green: Interesting! 

My guys! 

Spectacular view.
Don't get too close to the edge though! 

Not a care in the world - as I'm begging them to stay away from the edge of the cliff! 
Ever since I broke my ankle, I've developed a bit of agoraphobia.
I love views, but I get nervous - a new feeling of vulnerability! 

Another pic of this fantastic view. 

There is no fun like fun in nature.
So happy I made up my mind to go back. 

Coming to get me!

Silly kiddo!

Taking a break - all smiles!

And a little weirdness.

And a lot of weirdness!

Holy.... Moly....

Whose bright idea was this?
Oh yeah... mine. 

He had no problem with it!
Marching right up there as mom takes her time.

Peekaboo!

Yep, it dropped right off the side there.
Me: Stay on the inside! Stay on the inside! 

There really was no trail through here.
You just picked your way through the boulders and followed the blazes.

Me: What's the first rule in hiking?
Liam: No running!
(as he runs, trips, falls, cries - lather, rinse, repeat) 

More running. No fear! 

Are you still there, mom? I thought you'd never make it.

The view at the top! Spectacular!
Mount Minsi was in shadow so it looks a bit dark. 

Don't go too close to the edge!
(to be fair, there were people hanging off the edge way below them!)

I can't believe we make it! A rough climb, but SO worth it!

As Jon falls over.
This is Lenny the Lobster from school - each kid gets him for a week to take photos.
I bet Lenny hasn't been to the top of a mountain before! 

YEAH! You did it, Liam! You deserve to be proud!

What a view!

Being an airplane... as one does. 

On our way down - looks like free-range parent, but honestly
I kept yelling "don't go so far ahead! Slow down!" 

Because logs are meant to be climbed on! 

More running!

All smiles! That's what hiking is all about!

The perfect place to sit and take in the waterfalls. 

"I want to go over to the waterfalls! Why can't I?"
Okay, Liam, go ahead with Daddy. 

Getting a better look. 

 I loved the greenery on the sides of the ravine.
Makes me forget that it's winter! 

We loved it down here - as much as we loved the view!

Here you go, Lenny! Get a good look! 

Don't let Lenny fall or he'll float away! 

Exploring - I love to see him excited to discover new things!
Lead the way, Liam! 

One of my favorite pictures of the day! 
This was one happy boy! 

Liam is obsessed with ruins.
Whenever he sees a stone wall or even an old shelter, he yells, "Ruins!" 

I see rocks, Liam sees a cabin.
Maybe for a small animal!


And that's it! I hope you enjoyed our adventure! 

Mary 

5 comments:

  1. This makes my heart so happy and I site the title, "In apologetically Adventurous!" That's how we should all live our lives!!! ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I loved going on that hike with you guys! You pulled my lazy butt right along in a wagon, yes indeed! Lol ☺What a gorgeous view! Congratulations! Y'all should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete