Monday, July 3, 2017

Making Up Our Minds: 4th of July

Since New Jersey state parks are officially closed this 4th of July due to the state shutdown (boo!), national and county parks will be uber crowded. After a LOT of going back and forth, we've made up our minds: we're heading off to the Catskills! I realize the Catskills get crowded too, but we're aiming for Codfish Point which is supposed to be off the beaten path. Key words: supposed to be. We'll see! It's a 2 hour drive so I'm crossing my fingers. We'll go early. You hear me, Jon and Liam? EARLY. 

Soon I'll upload the photos from Schunemunk Mountain. Here's a sneak peek of Liam on the ridge!  


There was almost NOBODY on the trail. We saw one small group - 3 people in all - but no one else. I was surprised! That might be a nice place to revisit (perhaps exploring the other side of the park), but after our trip, we read that the place is crawling with rattlesnakes! I heard rattling at one point, but Liam swears up and down that it was a black racer. We'll definitely be going back, but maybe not yet.

Looking forward to compiling the photos from Schunemunk and going to the Catskills tomorrow. It'll be our first time at the Catskills! Our current highest climb was Schunemunk (over 1,400 feet) so I'm a bit worried about our capabilities for higher mountains, but we'll see!

Until next time!

Mary 

No comments:

Post a Comment